Sunday, August 7, 2011

Think Orange: Refine the Message

Welcome to Southwest Church and our special Family Worship Experience. We thought it would be very appropriate to provide an opportunity for the entire family to worship together as we have come off a fantastic week of Vacation Bible School (or VBS).

And by the way the whole concept of a Family Worship Experience made a lot of sense during our present focus as a church to Think Orange!



During the month of August, we are going to be examining together as a church what it means to combine the efforts of the family (represented by the color red) and the church (represented by the color yellow) and to create a combined effort of Orange!

This morning, we want to talk about what it means to refine the collective message that we want as a church and parents to teach our children and students. Well during the week of Vacation Bible School, we tried to keep the message really simple as we focused on a story from Jesus life every night. Jesus told us that our simple focus should be the Bible verses on the bulletin cover:

Jesus replied, “‘You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”Matthew 22:37-39 NLT

In fact, to help remember or relive the highlights of VBS, I brought up on stage with me some souvenirs from our week at VBS. First of all I have my baseball cap that says NYC, because the theme of VBS this week was Big Apple Adventure. So I wore every night this actual souvenir from our family vacation to NYC a few years ago.



2ndly, I brought up on stage a sword (show picture of Roman Centurion) to remind me of the Roman Soldier (or Centurion) that we learned about the first night as we learned that …
“Jesus loved people and helped them.” Matthew 14:14

And on this occasion, he healed this Roman’s Soldier’s helper!



I also brought up on stage a vase that I actually brought back from my recent trip to Jerusalem as a souvenir, and this vase reminds me of a perfume container and the woman we learned about on Tuesday night who cleaned Jesus feet with her tears and hair, and then poured perfume on his feet as she said,
“I love you, Jesus.” John 21:17




We also have on stage this morning, a beard that I wore on Wednesday night as we learned that Jesus walked on water and so did Peter as long as he kept his eyes on Jesus. On that night we learned that,
“Jesus is God’s Son.” John 20:31

Now some of you might say, well my Bible reads a little different on these verses. Realize that since I had the privilege of working with preschoolers all week, that I am quoting this morning from the PSV (Pre School Version).



I also brought up on stage this cup to remind me of the Samaritan Woman who was asked by Jesus for a drink of water, and she in turn found living water, and then went and told her whole town about Jesus. And we learned:
“Tell everyone about Jesus.” Matthew 28:19-20



And my final souvenir from VBS is this small stretcher (which actually carried Winnie the Poo), and it reminds me of the story we learned on Friday night of the man who was paralyzed (couldn’t walk) and his friends wanted so badly to get him to Jesus that they lowered him into the house that Jesus was staying and teaching at the time so they could be healed. We learned on that night the importance of each of us taking to heart:

“Help one another in love.” Galatians 5:13

Well as you can see we had a great time at VBS this week, and these objects or souvenirs help me remember all of these special moments that we shared in the preschool portion of VBS and the children, who were known as Broadway Stars!

This morning, I also have brought up on stage two other objects that Jesus told us to use as reminders of him. I have a loaf of bread and a cup of juice. Jesus told us that when we take these two objects they serve as souvenirs if you will of the time that that he spent on earth and showed us how much God loves us.

In the Bible, we find the following description of what is supposed to take place during a time of communion:

For I pass on to you what I received from the Lord himself. On the night when he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took some bread and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and said, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this to remember me.” In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood. Do this to remember me as often as you drink it.” For every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are announcing the Lord’s death until he comes again. 1 Corinthians 11:23-26 NLT

So as we observe this time of special communion, we want to encourage all of the children and parents alike to be really quiet and allow these objects (or souvenirs from Jesus) to remind us of what Jesus means to each and every one of us and to remember that it is only by GRACE that any of us can have a relationship with God, forgiveness of our sins, and eternal life!
Let’s Pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment