Thursday, December 2, 2010

Telling The Story … Telling My Story!

I love December! It is the month of the year that we celebrate and tell once again the story of the Son of God entering our world and living for awhile among us. I love to tell the story of the birth of Jesus Christ and the meaning behind his miraculous entrance into our world! And yet as much as I love to tell the story of Christ’s birth, I also find it challenging at times to tell this amazing true story at the end of every year in a fresh and authentic manner.

The same challenge is present when it comes to telling my personal story of faith. In a small group fellowship that I participate, we have been discussing the importance of writing, practicing, and sharing a personal testimony. So earlier this week, I set aside some time to type a written account describing my personal faith journey. Although I have told my story for years, I actually found it a challenging (and yet a refreshing) experience to write a brief “2 minute version” of my faith story.

Here are some questions that have guided me in the writing of my story (and possibly they will guide you in writing your faith story):
• What was my life like before I met Christ?
• How I realized I needed Christ?
• How I committed my life to Christ?
• What difference has Christ made in my life?

As I reflect on the huge difference that Christ has made in my life (and continues to make in my life), I recognize the importance of continuing to look for opportunities to tell my personal story! God has commissioned every believer to be his representative in this world and to share with others the hope that he brings into our lives. The following Bible verse describes the importance of being intentional regarding this important mission: “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have” (1 Peter 3:15 NIV).

Just as I never grow tired of telling my personal story as I reflect on the hope that I now have in my life as result of being in a relationship with Christ. The same is true regarding telling “The Story” of the birth of the baby named Jesus … “and his name will be the hope of all the world” (Matthew 12:21 NLT).

Have you discovered personally the hope that Jesus offers? If so, then you too have a story to tell!!

No comments:

Post a Comment