Thursday, February 17, 2011

Glimpses of God


One of the challenges of being a Christ follower is that we are called to believe in what we cannot see. In fact the Bible states emphatically, “Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see” (Hebrews 11:1 NIV).

And yet from time to time we get a glimpse of God’s glory displayed in nature. Last night was one of those opportunities for me. As I was driving home between 6:00 and 6:30 pm, I observed a beautiful sunset in the western sky. The red, blue and gray sky reminded me of the old saying, “red sky at night, sailors delight.” More importantly it reminded me of the grandeur of God and His creative design of this world that we live!!

My sunset experience yesterday was yet another reminder of the glorious Creator that I worship. As I continued to reflect this morning on God’s glory and my future hope of worshipping the LORD face to face in Heaven some day, I read in my daily Bible reading the following experience by Moses and some of his contemporaries: “Then Moses, Aaron, Nadab, Abihu, and the seventy elders of Israel climbed up the mountain. There they saw the God of Israel. Under his feet there seemed to be a surface of brilliant blue lapis lazuli, as clear as the sky itself. And though these nobles of Israel gazed upon God, he did not destroy them. In fact, they ate a covenant meal, eating and drinking in his presence!” (Exodus 24:9-11 NLT)

Can you imagine what a glorious sight this must have been for Moses and the others to “see the God of Israel?” We can only imagine what it will be like to see Him someday in Heaven and yet until that time, let’s look for glimpses of God in Scripture, in the life of Christ, in the beauty of nature, and in the lives of others who are being transformed by His power!

No comments:

Post a Comment