Thursday, February 24, 2011

“Roughing It” with No Lights!


This morning, my wife and I woke up to find no electric power in our home. It appears that we were in the midst of a very isolated power outage affecting only a few homes in our neighborhood. This discovery led us to complete our morning routine of getting ready for work with no electricity.

After a bit of grumbling (on my part) while searching through the house for candles and flashlights, I began to actually have fun trying to figure out how to do each of the following with no electricity: open the garage door, shave without cutting myself, and select clothes that match (this is actually a challenge for me every day!).

While “roughing” it this morning, I was reminded of two things. The first reminder is how easy our lives have become as result of electricity (and how I take this “luxury” for granted). The second reminder is the importance of strategically placing a handful of lit candles in the best location to help accomplish the task at hand.

Later this morning, my Bible opened “coincidently” to the following Bible passage:
Then Jesus asked them, “Would anyone light a lamp and then put it under a basket or under a bed? Of course not! A lamp is placed on a stand, where its light will shine." (Mark 4:21 NLT)

Just as I was strategically trying to maximize the light for this morning’s efforts, we are called by Jesus to let our lights shine. In another Bible verse Jesus calls us to … “let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” (Matthew 5:16 NLT)

Are you intentionally and strategically letting your light shine?

No comments:

Post a Comment