Thursday, March 3, 2011

What does it mean to be Holy? (Life Lessons from Leviticus)

This year, I am following a particular Bible Reading plan* which includes daily readings from both the Old Testament (OT) and New Testament (NT). This morning, my readings from two different books of the Bible really complemented each other in an amazing way!

My reading from the book of Leviticus (OT) explained in great detail some of the Jewish Laws concerning remaining ceremonially clean or holy in God’s sight. According to my study Bible notes the book of Leviticus mentions “holiness … more times (152) than in any other book of the Bible.” In fact, the following verses serve as the theme of the entire book: "For I am the LORD your God. You must consecrate yourselves and be holy, because I am holy. … For I, the LORD, am the one who brought you up from the land of Egypt, that I might be your God. Therefore, you must be holy because I am holy”(Leviticus 11:44-45).

As I was pondering the challenge to live a holy live, I also reflected on my reading from the Gospel of Mark (NT). Mark described Jesus challenge to the religious people of his day, who went to great lengths to be outwardly clean (ceremonially washing hands, cups, pitchers, and kettles) and yet had forgotten the importance of being clean on the inside. Jesus said, “It is what comes from inside that defiles you. For from within, out of a person’s heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you” (Mark 7:20-23).

Just as the Israelites were called to live a holy life as their response to being delivered by Egyptian slavery, followers of Christ are called to live a holy life in response to being delivered from sin and guilt by Jesus Christ. This is a holiness that is not based on our outward actions or traditions, but on the focus of our hearts being cleansed by Jesus. Now that is a holy challenge!

* See this particular Bible Reading plan at www.heartlight.org/devotionals/reading_plans/otandnt.pdf.

No comments:

Post a Comment