Thursday, May 20, 2010

Dealing with a Bad Attitude

How do you deal with a bad attitude?

I am not talking about the guy who cut you off in traffic and gave you an interesting “salute” in the process, the lady who was complaining loudly in the checkout line at the grocery store, or the “grouch” at work (or home). I am talking about the bad attitude in your own heart that raises its ugly head from time to time throughout the course of a day or week.

I wish that I couldn’t personally relate to this topic, but the truth is that I struggle with my attitude more often than I would like to admit. And yet, this morning in my Bible reading, I came across a possible solution for my attitude when it turns sour. Listen to the following words from the 50th Psalm: “Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God, and keep the vows you made to the Most High. Then call on me when you are in trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory” (Psalm 50:14-15 NLT).

Since I was dealing with my own bad attitude this morning, the above Bible verses really spoke to my heart. These God inspired words reminded me that sometimes it takes effort and even sacrifice to give thanks to God. As result of that realization, I admitted to God that I had a bad attitude (obviously He already knew!) and then I began to thank God for every blessing (every good thing) that surrounded the situation which was troubling me.

Guess what happened? God rescued me from my bad attitude and replaced it with a renewed grateful heart. My hope and prayer is that God will be honored through this personal confession and a changed attitude for the rest of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment