Monday, August 2, 2010

Seeking to Live by Godly Principles





There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a Sabbath to the LORD.Leviticus 23:3 NIV



There have been numerous arguments made through the years over certain teachings of the Old Testament (the portion of the Bible that was written prior to Jesus time on earth). By reading the Bible through the prism of the New Testament (the portion of the Bible written describing the life and teachings of Jesus and his followers), it is clear that followers of Jesus are not bound by the Old Testament dietary laws and numerous instructions of the animal sacrificial system.

The tougher questions are how to make sense of the Old Testament teachings like observing the Sabbath (listed above) and tithing. On these topics followers of Christ can disagree. And yet I have found blessings in my life by applying these teachings as timeless principles in my life.

On the subject of observing the Sabbath, I have found peace and rest by only working 6 days of the week, and enjoying a day of “rest.” I find that by observing a day of rest, I learn to trust God and realize that it is not all up to me. I also find rest, refreshment, and recharging for my emotional, physical, and spiritual batteries.

In my life, I am pretty busy on Saturdays and Sundays, but I observe Monday as my day of rest. Two of the last three weeks, I have enjoyed playing Golf with a relative and found it extremely relaxing. Now for some serious golfers they can find themselves getting stressed during a round of golf. Personally, I am so terrible at the sport that I don’t take is serious enough to get stressed.

Are you observing the timeless principles of a day of rest? If not, why don’t you see if God is big enough to take your 5 or 6 days of work and enable you to accomplish a week of work? And you might just find yourself being refreshed by God in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment