Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Accepting Limitations


As we begin our second work day of our week in Mexico, I painfully learn my need to accept my limitations. Although I would like to believe that I can keep up with a group of 18 year old young men building a house by laying concrete blocks in the hot sun, my physical body is reminding that is not to be the case. So although I wanted to sign up for the “concrete block” work project, I instead signed up for the stucco work on the partially completed community building in the neighborhood.

Following my first day in the sun, my arms and legs began to break out with an allergic reaction to the Sun, so I was further humbled by my reassignment to indoor painting in a new Christian School being developed in Piedras Negras. Although I would have much preferred a job of labor in the Sun, I wondered if God was teaching me a lesson about accepting limitations in my life.

Throughout my life, I have struggled with the tendency of relying on my personal strength and my willingness to work hard instead of simply trusting the power of God. As I reflect on my transition of job responsibilities in the first two days of the trip, I am becoming convinced that God is seeking to teach me an important lesson not only for our time in Mexico but for the rest of my life.

Maybe it is not a coincidence that our Bible reading for the day was from the prophet Ezekiel foretelling the Good News that would become known in Jesus. Ezekiel wrote, “And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart.” Ezekiel 36:26 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment